Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Cooking Club XI

It was a sad night for cooking club; Brent's final night of joining us. He has a new work schedule that won't allow him any Saturday nights offs. Since it was his last time, he got to choose the menu. The theme? New Orleans style! Unfortunately Jeff & Jenny had some family stuff come up so they weren't able to come, but the 4 of us still got our Mardi Gras on and had a blast. The menu wasn't revealed until we arrived. As Justin and I walked through the door this is what we saw: 15 lbs of live crawfish squirming around in the netted bag. 


We were all going to try and hold one, but I chickened out and just posed next to Cran. Creepy crawly things give me the willies big time. These qualified, plus they kept rearing their claws at us. No thanks. You can call me a wimp.


The first course was a shrimp and corn fritter served with a salsa sauce. There were delish!! We tried not to eat too many to save room for all the crawfish.


Before the crawfish were cooked, we dumped them onto the floor. You are supposed to remove all the dead ones. There were a few that tried to escape.


The guys had a fun time with the boil. I am happy to report that crawfish don't scream.


Main course: 
Crawfish boiled with potatoes, corn, & artichokes
New Orleans Rice & Beans
Rolls


Bibs were even included for everyone and OMG it was so good. I had to admit at first I was a little grossed out by those beady eyes staring at me. But once I cracked my first one and took a bite, I was smitten. They were buttery and melted in your mouth. And no, no one sucked the head. I don't do organs. They were flavorful enough without that. 


To.Die.For. Even being gluten and dairy free. So easy and so good.


Brent - we will miss you in our upcoming cooking clubs! Great choice for a last meal.

3 comments:

Aaron Mathison said...

You should start sharing (or linking to) the recipes you make at your cooking club. The "shrimp and corn fritter served with a salsa sauce" looks and sounds really good. Also where does one acquire 15 lb of live crawfish? The Internet?

Kristen said...

Most of our recipes come from cook books, but I will try to link the online ones. I'll ask Cran where she got the fritters. They were sooo good! They had to order the crawfish from New Orleans and had them shipped overnight, so yes the Internet. :)

Kristie said...

Fun post! Brent and I are reading together *tear for his last supper. Great menu and the lava cakes are delish reheated.