Thursday, September 26, 2013

Cooking Club XVI

It was Justin's and my turn to host. The theme this time was small bites. It came from these super cute dishes I got as a gift and really wanted to use. We tried to make an easier menu because Cari was bringing Baby Christopher and Jenny has been put on limited movement.

Sleeping Baby - We made sure he wouldn't fall off.






Appetizer


Crab Stuffed Jalapeno Peppers served with Avocado Salsa Sauce
These were awesome (and used my new dishes). Justin and I actually stuffed the peppers ahead of time to let them get really chilled before frying. I think that helped them stay together.


Spicy Chicken Bundles
Great lettuce wraps with just a touch of spice. We served them with a soy sauce based dipping sauce. I got this recipe out of one of my cookbooks. There was pretty easy to make and I will definitely be making them again. 

Soup


This soup got mixed reviews. I thought the flavor was fine but wasn't a huge fan of the texture. It was too runny. I felt like I should be drinking it with a straw. Others really liked it and some not so much.

Entrée



OMG. Fat Doug knows what he's doing. Soooo good. The tangy mustard coleslaw on top was my favorite part. 

These also got mixed reviews. I was not a fan at all. I think my quote was they taste like garbage. I really wanted to like them because kale is such a great super food but my taste buds weren't having it. I did like the texture though. Light and airy. Again some others liked them and gobbled them up. 

Dessert


Butterscotch Fondue with Popcorn
Chocolate Fondue

Fondue - need I say more? The butterscotch was a little runny but still tasty. And you can't go wrong with chocolate. Great way to end the night. 

No comments: