Thursday, March 4, 2010

Restaurant Review

I got to check out 2 different restaurants for restaurant week this year: one for dinner and one for lunch. Unfortunately I forgot to take pics of the food! Use your imagination.

Oceanaire was the first one. We went there for dinner on my birthday. I've always wanted to go there and have heard so many great things about it. They did not disappoint. For my meal I choose:
App - Maryland Style Crab Cake Appetizer Mustard Mayonnaise
Entree - Grilled Costa Rican Mahi-Mahi Ancho Chile Sauce and Mexican Pickled Vegetable “Escabeche”
Dessert - Banana Bread Pudding Glazed Bananas and Caramel

We also added 2 family style sides of asparagus with hollandaise sauce and red potatoes topped with a thick cut bacon. They staff must've thought we hadn't eaten enough because they brought out an extra dessert for my birthday where a liquor was lite on fire and then poured over the top of it. Very festive and fun. The food was all outstanding. The crab cake was the best I ever had with HUGE chunks of crab in it. I highly recommend checking this place out especially for restaurant week. Such a great deal and the portion sizes were huge. I didn't come close to finishing anything...besides my crab cake.

Pic of the desserts. The one in the middle is the extra one they brought out.


The other restaurant I checked out was Ginger Hop in NE. It's a new Asian restaurant where The Times used to be. We were there for a lunch and I got:
App - beef satay with sesame sauce
Entree - pad thai

I'd say the food here was good but not wonderful. The satay was really good and done perfectly. The pad thai couldn't compete w/Spice (my fav thai restaurant in Savage) Instead of asking how spicy you wanted your food they brought out this spice tray where you could add your own spices/sauce to any part of the meal. I was glad they brought it because my meal would've been really bland without it. Plus baby is craving REALLY spicy foods so I could load it on. (no I don't get heartburn...yet at least) I'd go back if someone else wanted to try it but it's not a place I'd crave on my own. Also their restaurant week deal wasn't that great. I think I only saved $1 on my meal.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

Awesome that you checked out two places!

Funny that you got extra dessert because we got extra dessert for Ryan's birthday at Ginger Hop - weird!

Also funny is that we compared our food to Spice in Savage too! He got the Green Curry on the Restaurant Week menu and it was awesome. We actually said that it reminded us of the curry dish we got at Spice!

I tried the Kimchee Reuben (very good if you like spicy and reuben).