Friday, February 25, 2011

Starting Solids

I have been so excited to give Sienna her first foods. Ever since she started showing an interest in food I've been itching to whip up some baby food. I put my patience hat on and waited until she was 6 months.

On Sienna's 6 month birthday (ok actually the night before, my patience hat was gone by then) we started the solids. Before this, we had given her a sweet potato and avocado to mash up and get a few tastes, but this was her first time with pureed food and a spoon. Because of Justin's food allergies and the potential for Sienna to follow in his footsteps, we are skipping all grains and going right into the veggies and fruits. We'll come back to grains when she's a little older. I am hoping to be able make most of her baby food. As we are testing what she likes it's easy enough to make a small batch for her and let us eat the rest (minus the pureeing). This should also help us incorporate more veggies in our diet - or at least some different ones than our usuals. Win win!

Avocados were the first on the list to try. I've heard such great things about how good they are for babies. Unfortunately I don't think Sienna is a big fan. Check out her faces.



Next on the list is potatoes. Hopefully she will likes these better. They will be great for mixing up with some of the other veggies to ease their flavor. So fun! I'll be back with updates soon.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

My girls weren't as excited about avocados as I thought they'd be either. Our first food was butternut squash and it was a hit. Easy to make / puree / put into ice cube trays. I was very committed to making baby food when Emilia was a baby...but now, were just a shorter on time, so Olivia gets a mix of homemade / store bought.
Here's a website I use for good suggestions on homemade baby food:
http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/
Buon Appetito!