Sunday, August 21, 2011

1st Birthday Party



What a fun day. There are so many things to say about it and not enough words for me to find. I tried to keep my expectations low for the day, knowing that if I wanted everything to be perfect, then nothing would go that way. My 2 goals were to get some cute pictures of Sienna in her headband (done!) and for her to smash her cake (and done!) Everything else fell into place.

I'd like to say she was as happy as she looked in this picture but the party started off a little rough. She was pretty scared of all these people coming to our house at once and all oohing over her. There was a lot of fussing and clinging to Mama. And then there was the issue of not being able to crawl in her dress. Very frustrating. But 1 snack later, and a few moments to warm up, she was her smiling self...for awhile at least.

Some drinks, snacks and laughter started the party off. Followed by a delicious dinner and then it was onto the presents! I wasn't sure if Sienna would get into them, but she surprised me and did. Izzy helped her in unwrapping. Sienna really wanted to play with all of them and got a little mad when I had to take each one away so she could open another. So far her favorite presents appears to be the rock that came with a dump truck she got. Go figure! She is carrying it around everywhere.

The night finished with cake time. Sienna fulfilled my hopes and did a great job of smashing her cake. However, she was quite dainty with eating it. She would take a swipe of frosting on her finger and lick it all off before going for the next. She was messy but didn't even NEED a bath after. I've seen her do more damage with fruit.



And so her big party is over. I was actually ok with the whole thing and not too emotional. Maybe it helped because she's not technically one yet. Or maybe it's because she is just so much fun and it keeps getting better. I can't wait to see what the next year brings!

Many more pics of the day.

No comments: