Saturday, August 27, 2011

State Fair '11

After not going to The Fair last year I did everything I could to make up for it this year. I think I did a pretty good job! Cari, Mom, and I went out on Friday. Here's some of our food highlights.

For breakfast we started off w/Axel's new breakfast lollipop - sausage patty dipped in a corn batter, deep fried and dipped in a maple syrup. It was delish!! I would definitly get it again. Since mac n'cheese on a stick was at their booth too I thought I might as well grab it. And then we added French Meadow's strawberry n'cream scone with coffee to the mix. Quite the way to start the day!


For our mid-morning snack we tried the new cookie dough on a stick. It was great too. The cookie dough stayed in dough form but the deep frying warmed it up and made the chocolate all metly. Since we were in the food building, Cari had to pick up her favorite Sausage Sister's thai sausage dipped in a peanut sauce. Always tasty too.


For lunch we went the "healthy" route and stopped at Giggles. Had their walley cakes (LOVE those!) and the new salad on a stick. Sounds boring? It was actually very tasty and good for my stomach to have something not deep fried. The salad greens were topped with a wild rice mixture and balsamic vinaigrette. Then the tomatoes and mozzarella balls were skewered and laid on top.


A bit later we shared a Gizmo. It's crumbled beef mixed with italian sausage topped with a red sauce and mozzarella cheese melted on top. mmmm. I want to try and make these at home.




That was the end of my pictures for the day. We of course continued to eat but stuck with traditional stuff. My mom has always loved pronto pups and corn dogs. Her goal for this year was to figure out which one was better so we did a taste test. The pronto pup claims to be "The original corn dog" but when we asked their batter has a little corn meal in it, but is mostly flour. The corn dog is all corn meal. Side by side we tasted and determined the corn dog's batter was sweeter and we all liked it better. BUT the pronto pup had a much more flavorful dog. So who won? The pronto pup! Surprising but the dog was that much tastier.

There's my fair review. I'm going again next Friday to give Sienna her first experience. Probably won't be pigging out quite as much...but you never know. Any other new recommendations I should try?

No comments: