Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Starting New Traditions

Growing up for as long as I can remember, I would make a gingerbread house with my Grammy before Christmas. This was way before they had kits and made it easy. My Grammy would bake all the gingerbread pieces from scratch. She would make her own frosting to glue it together and buy all the candy needed for the house. It was quite the production. She went all out and we made beautiful gingerbread houses. I should find some old pictures of them. Wanting to try and continue the tradition for my daughter(s), I decided this was the year for Sienna to start making her own gingerbread house. I went the easy route and picked up a kit at Michaels. I have to say part of me thinks I should get Grammy's recipe and do the real thing, but the busy/lazy part of me won over...for this year at least. 

For anyone who hasn't tried this, be sure to read the instructions before getting your kid all excited about making the house. I sat her down to make it, pulled out the instructions, and realized all we could do the first night was assemble the house. It had to sit overnight to let the frosting set before decorating it. Oops! Luckily for me I have an easy going child - as long as she was allowed to eat some of the frosting we were good.

The second night we decorated! Sienna helped roll the fondant to make the windows, door, and of course a Mickey head for the roof. She showed us where to put them on the house and help glue down gum drops and sprinkles. 



Excited about her candy.

Cheesy smile.

I love all the traditions that comes with different holidays and the changing of seasons. This is one I hope to continue for a long time to come.

No comments: