Monday, March 11, 2013

Cooking Club XIV

These cooking clubs numbers are getting so high that I'm going to have to start Googling how to do the Roman Numerals soon! The theme this time was The Best of Mardi Gras hosted by Cran and her new date Cari. The table setting included masks for everyone to wear and get into the spirit.  


We started the night off sipping on hurricanes. Oh my were they delicious and went down way too easy.


Appetizer course was Crab Avery. It was very good with lots of spice! The recipe actually said to eat it with a spoon, but we all agreed it was better on crackers which added a nice crunch. 


We all modeled our masks.





Cari was too busy baby tending to put hers on. Kensi made her first appearance at cooking club. She wasn't sure about the whole thing and was quite a fuss bucket that night. Why does she always act so much better in the evenings at home than when she is out?!


The main course was Boudreaux’s Zydeco Stomp Gumbo, Artichoke Bites, and Louisiana Fried Okra. The gumbo and okra were delicious! I will for sure make the gumbo again. We had a bit of a mishaps with the artichoke bites. Jeff and I were making that recipes. I was baby bouncing and calling out the amounts to Jeff, while he measured and put them in. Unfortunately the liquid smoke came out really fast. There was supposed to be only 1/2 teaspoon in the recipe and a really good dumping came out instead. All you could taste was a smokey flavor in the balls. We all took one bite of it and left the rest. I think they would've been really good if you had left the liquid smoke out all together.



A new rule was created that night. Anyone who royally screws up a recipe has to wear "The Serpent of Shame." Jeff was the lucky first one to follow the new rule.


Jeff and I redeemed ourselves though on the dessert. We fried up some Beingets that everyone loved. We gobbled up the whole tray. Cran & Jenny whipped up 2 sauces - raspberry and chocolate. Great way to end the night.


3 comments:

Chris said...

Hi Kristen! I dont know if you know I read your blog but I do, it's Amy from High School...I found your on Cran's and I love both of yours! Your girls are beautiful! Just wanted to also say I love the Mardi Gras cooking night!

Amy said...

sorry Kristen! I didnt realize my husband was signed in...so Chris is actually me Amy from high school :)

Kristen said...

Thanks Amy! I didn't know you followed. Glad I have some readers out there. :)