Monday, May 18, 2009

Charleston Wrap Up

Hard to believe my vacation is over and tomorrow is back to reality. We did so many things that it's hard to remember them all! The weather at the end of the week was really nice and sunny until our last day when it rained on and off all day. But while we were eating our final meal at one of the restaurants on the island, we saw dolphins swimming in the water!! It was really sweet. They were too far away to get any good pictures but it was the perfect way to end the trip. Here are some more of the highlights:

I've always wanted to ride on a segway, so when we saw they did Mt. Pleasant segway tours we thought it was the perfect way to see it. After a short training session the 6 of us were on our way for a private tour. We rode for 3 hours and covered 10 miles! So much fun. Justin thinks we need to get some for ourselves. We'll see about that one.




We had a recommendation to do a pirate treasure hunt around Charleston. You were given a compass and a treasure "map" which had instructions on where to go. Along the way you had to write down answers to questions where the answers could be found on the plaques and buildings. It was a lot of fun and a great way to explore the areas.


Of course this wouldn't be my blog unless I mentioned all the food we ate. I think I have fallen in love with grits and sweet tea! I've always thought grits were like cream of wheat, but when done right they are great and have a nice corn flavor. MMmm mmm! We hit up many many restaurants. I think my favorite was Magnolia in downtown Charleston. We had homemade potato chips with melted blue cheese on top, sprinkled with scallions. (below)


This was my shrimp and grits with a tasso gravy also from Magnolia.


Cari and I hit up Charleston's Cupcake to see if they really are the best in town. They were good but I think Cupcake in Mpls has them beat.


We took a day trip down to Savannah. Went on a carriage ride to see the city and then walked around. I wasn't overly impressed with the town. They had some cute parts but it was nothing like Charleston. Glad I got to see it once.


One morning Cari, Sue, and I got up before the sunrise to go shelling on the beach. It's amazing how many shells you can find! Also cool to see the sunrise on the ocean.


So those are a few of the highlights. Don't have my pics up yet but hopefully will soon. There are a lot of them between the 4 couples.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

How did you do on the Pirate tour? Did you get the grand prize - the Jolly Roger flag? I agree with you on Cupcake - it's a cute little place and the cupcakes are really creative, but didn't knock my socks off. I like the chocolate cupcake from YUM! in SLP myself :) Did you ever make it over to Folly Beach? Can't wait to hear and see more!

Crystal said...

Question for you: was it a requirement to wear striped shirts on the segways? Just curious ;)

The Gamma Sig convention was supposed to be in Charleston in July, but they moved it to Fort Lauderdale. Blah.

Kristen said...

We did get the pirate flag. Woo hoo! Didn't make it all the way to Folly. Thought about it one day but decided to do the pirate tour instead. Not enough time!

Stripes were a pure coincidence. hehe. We're cool. I know.

Sarah said...

I was thinking the SAME thing about the stripes!! Ha ha!