Friday, July 27, 2012

Betters Never Win

Back when Sienna was around 16-18 months, Justin kept trying to teach her colors. I repeatedly told him she is waaaaaaay to young to learn that. She would repeat them, but had no concept of what it actually meant. I also told him everything I had read said they don't know their colors until they are 3-4. Justin of course disagreed and thought she could know them by the time she was 2.

And so started the bet. He bet me that she would know one color before she turned 2. Thinking there was no way that was possible, I readily agreed. The stakes? 2 hours of back massages. It was on.

And so began Justin's incessant teaching of colors. They talked about it when she got dressed, when they read books, when they did puzzles and especially when they colored. To my astonishment it worked. I was doubtful for a long time, but not any more. It started with grabbing a crayon and getting it right. I said it was a fluke. There were only so many times she could grab the yellow crayon and have it be a fluke. Then she started pointing out orange, and pink, and purple.

It takes a true woman to admit when she's wrong. So Sienna, I apologize. I will never second guess your intelligence and make bets against you. You already might be smarter than your mother (but I will never let you know that)

As a sidenote I read something last week that said kids who learn colors before 3 usually have parents who work hard at teaching them. I found it funny that it said they also usually learn the basic ones first like red, yellow and blue. Red is the one she still never gets and blue is hit and miss. She's a true girl loving pink and purple more.

Also do you know how nice 2 hours worth of back rubs would be for a pregnant woman? I think I need to find a counter bet...

No comments: