Wednesday, August 29, 2012

State Fair 2012 Review

Mom, Cari, and I had our annual girls day at the fair. I was pumped to be in the 2nd trimester of pregnancy which meant a little extra stomach room for all the great food! Plus with baby craving salty foods, deep fried goodness was right up my alley. I did a pretty good job this year of remember to take pictures of everything we ate, although most of the times it was after we were a few bites into it. You still get the idea. We created a rating system for the food this year based on thumbs. Each person could give the item a total of 2 thumbs, so the ratings are out of 6 thumbs each.

We started breakfast at French Meadow with their new sausage and gravy scone. I thought it was awesome and gave it a big 2 thumbs up (which is how the scoring originated). Overall it got 5 thumbs. We also had their egg, cheese, tomato, & bacon croissant which got 6 thumbs.


Mom needed something sweet to go with her coffee so we hit up the deep fried cookie dough next. This was an enthusiastic 6 thumbs. A perfect combination of melty cookie dough and sweet batter. 


As a lunch time appetizer we tried Giggles new walleye roll. I had heard great reviews about it, but we were all underwhelmed. It was nice, light, and refreshing but overall didn't have much flavor and the bun was a bit over buttered. We gave it only 2 thumbs total. I would much rather have their delicious walleye cakes.


For lunch we hit up the food building and tried all new [to us] items. We started with a wild rice corn dog. It was pretty good, but you didn't get a lot of rice flavor. We gave it 3 thumbs. Then we tried the Sausage Sisters new item Great Balls of Fire. This was the winner of lunch with 6 thumbs! It came with a cool cucumber sauce that complimented the spices nicely. The loser of lunch with a lowly 1.5 thumbs was my pick - a Jamaican jerk roti. It was chicken, carrots, onions wrapped up in a flat bread, but it needed a sauce or something. The only flavor I got was a burning after taste. It was good for clearing your sinuses.


Our afternoon snack was the new poutine - french fries covered in gravy topped with cheese curds. I didn't care for the cheese curds on it. They were rubbery but it was so good that it still got 5.5 thumbs. 


Finished the day with the new Reeses Peanut Butter Cup Fudge Puppy. Sooooo good if you are a pb and chocolate lover like I am. Mom wasn't as big of a fan but it still got 5 thumbs overall. 



Somewhere in there was also tried cheese curds which I have been craving. They were great but so standard it wasn't picture worthy or rated. I did decide I like the ones from the food building better than the ones from the big yellow mouse trap booth. Need to remember that for next year. 

Cari & Mom continued fairing into the evening, but my tired and hot pregnant body was done. We go back again on Friday with the kids. I'm already making my list of must haves. The only new item left I want to try is the bacon ice cream. Reviews of that to come! 

No comments: