Sunday, December 7, 2008

Cookie Baking

Friday night Jenny, Cran, Cari, Kate & Gail all fought the snow and came down to my house to bake cookies. Jenny is a great cook but says she can't bake for the life of her so it was our mission to teach her a few lessons and send her home with a lot of cookies. Overall I think we did a pretty good job but there were of course a few mishaps...

The first wasn't really a mishap, maybe only to me. Kate wanted to go the easy way of making cut out cookies so she brought frozen cookie dough where all you had to do was take the cookie out of the package and put it on the cookie sheet. Then we used frosting out of the can and sprinkles. For those of you who know my mom and how I was brought up you'll understand why I found the whole process appalling. :)



The second I will take complete credit for. Cran and I were trying to thin the melted chocolate chips so we could drizzle it. She though adding fat would work so we tried that and it didn't thin it enough. I insisted that milk should work...oops. Once the milk was added it curdled and formed a big lump. Jenny tasted it and said it was the worst choclate she's ever had. We had to start over...





The last incident was probably the highlight of the night for me. We were trying to make peanut butter blosoms. It was at the end of the night and we were all getting tired. Jenny was helping me and I told her to add the flour. She carefully measured it out and put it in the bowl. We mixed it up and I instructed her to start rolling the dough into balls. Here's how it went (paraphrased):
Jenny: This dough won't form into balls
Me: What do you mean it won't form into balls?
[I walk over and try it, the dough melts all over my hand]
Me: Nope it sure won't make a ball.
[I taste the dough - it's super sweet and sugary]
Me: Are you sure you added flour and not powdered sugar?
[We all look around the kitchen]
Gail: [picks up the flour] I've got the flour over here and I don't think it's moved in a long time. [and the powded sugar is sitting right next to Jenny's dough]

We all uncontrolably burst out laughing and through the dough away. We decided peanut butter bloosoms weren't going to get made and Jenny states that she's never baking again - I'm sure she'll change her mind come next year. :) At least we still had plenty of other cookies!

2 comments:

Kristie said...

Fun times! Wish I was still around for the peanut butter blossom moment. :) Can't wait for 2nd annual and I will stay until the end next year...

Aaron Mathison said...

Kristen, I'm starting to sense a common theme on your blog... It sounds like your house is cursed when it comes to holiday baking!