Sunday, November 30, 2008

Pie Failures

I'm not so sure I like to blog my failures but Justin insisted it was a good blog moment so here goes...

I like to consider myself the baker of the house. I can cook too but not as well as Justin and am much better when following a recipe. I always give Justin crap when he bakes because he doesn't like to measure. Inevitably something goes wrong and I end up redoing whatever he tried. Wed night the tides changed. I was all excited to bring the pumpkin pie to Thanksgiving this year. My mother in law has the best pumpkin pie recipe so I couldn't wait to show off my skills. I also decided that I should go all out and make my own crust - mistake #1. I'm still not sure exactly what went wrong. I swear I followed the instructions to a T but after the pie was baked the crust was mushy and not very crust like. It was not looking good at this point. Since I made 2 pies I thought I'd cut off a piece and see how it tasted. As soon as I cut into the pie I also noticed that it seemed like the inside of the pie was not the right consistency. I knew it was done because the knife pulled out clean but something was definitely not right. Of course now it's 10 pm, I'm tired and have 2 worthless pies. So what do i do??? See pic...



Yep that's right. I stirred it all into one big mush. :) Here's the other pie too. It looks a lot better than it was.



Gosh I look tired. Maybe just frustrated. Anyways I did end up fixing the situation. Justin called him mom. Turns out there was a mistake in the recipe that we had. I ran to the store to buy premade crusts and more ingredients. Of course I had to run twice because I forgot the eggs the first time. 2 and a half hours later the pies were done and were wonderful. I forgot to take pictures of them but trust me they were delicious looking!

The rest of the weekend was great. Pics are up of it. Black Friday Cari and I continued our shopping tradition. Sat we went xmas tree shopping and hopefully Cran will blog it. It was so fun to have Mallory help us pick our tree out. Got all of my xmas decorations up around the house and am in total Xmas spirit!! Good thing Dec is almost here.

Oh I also posted answers to the Pictionary Blog under the comments

1 comment:

www.tonycu.com said...

Good job rescue Chef!!! I bet you didn't even panic!