Thursday, August 20, 2009

And the winner is...



Yes that's my messy kitchen. For the past week that's where I have been... experimenting with different recipes, trying to perfect my banana chocolate chip muffins for the contest. My first trial was using 2 different flour mixes - one that I have been using as my all purpose gluten free flour and the other was a new one I wanted to try. I made the 2 batches and let my trusty coworkers help judge. It was a landslide win for the flour I have been using. The other flour had masa in it and was too gritty for most people's liking. I had a couple critiques that there was too many chocolate chips in the muffins. (forgot to take pics of the 2 batches)

This week I decided to try using mini chocolate chips instead of the regular ones and a lesser quantity. I was also going to add a little more banana to see what that did. I made a batch Sunday night and from the start something seemed off. I kept rereading the ingredient list and couldn't figure out what it was. I shrugged it off and finished up. A few hours after I was done it dawned on me. I added 2 eggs instead of 1. oops! That batch actually tasted ok but a day later I went back to look at them and this is what I saw.



If you blow the picture up it's easier to see. There's this layer of grease on the top of all the muffins. DISGUSTING! Guess extra eggs is a no go. That night I redid my trial of extra banana and mini chips w/the correct amount of eggs. I also tried sprinkling sugar crystals on the top to see what that did. Gave it a nice coating.

Sugar on top


vs no sugar.


So finally after all of this and much taste testing from others I have decided on a final recipe. I'm going with the latest version with more banana, mini chips, and the sugar coating on top. Entries are submitted this Sunday so wish me luck!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Mmmm! Good luck! Could you please either deliver a delcious looking muffin to my desk so I can enjoy it with the rest of my coffee or could you share the recipe? Can you make it with regular flour and have it turn out the same?

Colie said...

They look so yummy!
Good luck...