Sunday, July 25, 2010

Call me Martha

My co-worker, Mary, and I both enjoy baking and use our department as a test ground for many of our creations. A couple months ago I found a box on my desk with 4 star cake molds/cutters in them. I asked Mary if they were hers. She said yes and hinted that her birthday was at the end of July. I thought they looked like a fun challenge, but put them away hoping come July I’d remember, and feel up to making them. Somehow through the pregnancy brain I actually did remember! The molds came with a recipe for this delicious sounding vanilla pound cake. I just wasn’t feeling that ambitious and went for Betty Crocker's boxed vanilla cake with a homemade chocolate butter cream frosting.

Here’s how Martha’s cake looked. Something to aspire to.

DSC_0742

I made 2 9 X13s pans of cake and used the molds as cake cutters to cut out my stars.

DSC_0732 

I had enough cake leftover to fill a whole 9X13. I decided to turn that into a pudding cake. Yes, my ambition was really starting to wane at this point.

DSC_0733 

Here’s how mine turned out! The cake carrier that I was using only allowed for a 3 tiered cake. Definitely not as pretty as Martha's but it sure tastes good. I don’t own a frosting piper thing, nor did I want to try and make one. Like I said ambition was going quick. I was hoping to frost the outside too but the cake was very fragile and would’ve turned to a crumbly mess.

DSC_0739 DSC_0741 

My 4th tier. I’m bringing it to work too. Maybe I’ll try to assemble it all there. Or I’ll just let people eat different parts…

DSC_0737

Anyone have ideas on how to cut this thing? I think I’ll let the birthday girl tackle that part!

No comments: