Monday, September 17, 2012

Cooking Club XII

Another Cooking Club for the books. This time we traveled to the other side of the world and experienced Vietnamese cooking. It was quite a treat and I discovered a way that I actually like tofu! I never thought that would be possible, but that's exactly why I love Cooking Club so much. It expands my horizons to foods I would never try at home. The teams were: Justin & Cran, Cari (subbing for Brent) & Jenny, and Jeff & I.




The cocktail we tried to make was bubble tea! I think half of us liked it but it was a lot of work and very different from the bubble teas you can buy. The bottom of the recipe even recommended just going to buy yourself a bubble tea and save the trouble of making it. 


The first course was a Beef Faux Pho. I have always wanted to try a Pho so I was very excited for this course and it didn't dissapoint. The base soup has noodles and beef. Then it was topped with bean sprouts, cilantro, radishes, lime and Sriracha sauce if you dared.


The main course consisted of: 
Spicy Lemongrass Tofu. I really liked this. The tofu was crispy on the outside and creamy in the middle. It was a very spicy dish. Jenny & Cran declared it too spicy for them. Jeff, Justin, and I thought it was great that way. I even spooned the toppings onto my rice so I could eat it all. I'm not sure I could eat tofu as a main dish but it worked well with the others.


Sweet and Sour Shrimp & Pork Crepes. This dish was the winner of the night. The crepe filled with sauted shrimp and pork, topped with herbs and a sauce and then wrapped in lettuce. Almost everyone went back for seconds. It was definitely the one that took the most work too but worth the effort. 


Beef and Green Bean Vietnamese Stir Fry. This dish was ok. The beans had a good crunch to them, but I thought it was a little bland.


For dessert we had Mango Coconut Sticky Rice. This was very good, but heavy and we were all pretty full by then. The rice was very sweet and went well with the mangos. 


Great night. I loved the theme. Thanks Lindners!!

No comments: