Sunday, March 29, 2009

A gluten weekend (and glutton...)

As most of you know, last fall we discovered that Justin has a gluten allergy. Ever since we've been trying to find new recipes and adapt the ones we have. It's been challenging but in a fun way. Unfortunately at the time we figured this out, there had been many Sams club runs to stock our freezers; none of which Justin can now eat. I got into a purge mode this week and decided to try and eat up as much gluten filled foods as I could. Spaghetti, meatballs, garlic bread, eggs rolls, breaded cheesy bites, pizza, cheese squares, and Amish bread was all consumed. Thanks to John, Kristen, Jenny, Cari & all the Staubus' for helping me out! Happy to say I have 2 freezers gluten-free and only one left to go. Yea!

In addition to cleaning my house of gluten, I was also given the task of making a gluten-free Black Forest Cherry Cake for the Staubus Sauerkraut and Kapostie [no idea how to spell that but it's a German potato pancake] Dinner. I took the original recipe and just substituted a gluten-free flour mix. It turned out really well. My mom made the regular version and we compared the two. The gluten-free was a little denser and sticker but tasted just as good. I think it could easily pass for the real thing.

The gluten free cake.


Mom & I next to our cakes.


Frying up the Kapostsies with Grammy directing.


Close up. Fried in lots of bacon grease. Makes your heart stop looking at it.

5 comments:

wildprinces-75 said...

Can Justin drink beer? Just curious cause there is a lady at work going gluten free for arthritis. If beer counts I know she won't give that up.

Kristen said...

Nope can't drink beer. There are a couple gluten free beers that are made but he hasn't tried them yet.

Anne said...

The cakes look great! Yum!

Cal said...

Wait, back up...how many freezers do you have?!?

Kristen said...

Just 3...:) one in my kitchen fridge, one it our garage/beverage fridge, and one chest one in the basement.