Sunday, July 5, 2009

Berry Overload

Such a fabulous weekend! I love it when they are long. One of things we really wanted to do was go strawberry picking. After our bust last year we decided to try a new place. I heard great reviews from multiple people about Afton Apples, so we headed all the way to the other side of the cities. Thank God, we had much better luck and the drive was worth it. There were rows and rows of plants filled with strawberries to pick from. 25 lbs later we went home... I really don't know what we are going to do with all the berries. We froze most of them in hopes that they will last us through the winter. We will see! If anyone has any advice or recipes I would gladly take them!

Pickin in the fields


Our loads


Justin's dream job?


Just one of the berries

2 comments:

Kristie said...

LOL at Justin in the truck :) I'll be happy to let you know how the berries taste in some super yummy dessert in the winter...just let me know :)

Crystal said...

Love the pictures - they crack me up!

Well...you know I have posted a lot about strawberries lately. I'd highly recommend the Spring Strawberry Pie from Cooking Light.

Other winners: strawberry jam (or even freezer jam)
Strawberry Lavender Lemonade or if you're into alcohol in your sorbet:

Strawberry Shiraz Sorbet
(8 servings)


2 c. sliced strawberries
½ c. sugar
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 c. Shiraz or other full-bodied, ripe, jammy wine

Puree the strawberries, sugar and lemon juice in a blender until smooth. Stir in the wine. Pour the mixture into an ungreased 9x9-inch baking dish. Cover and freeze for at least 8 hours or until firm. Before serving, let stand at room temperature for about 5 minutes. Use a small ice cream scoop to assemble the servings.