Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Jamming and Baking



This is my rhubarb plant. And this is a picture after we have already used it 3 times! As in took almost all of the stalks out each time. It just keeps growing back. I thought their season was in June and then it was done. I can't claim to be an expert in this area by any means so maybe this is what it's supposed to do. I am starting to run out of rhubarb recipes though. First I made rhubarb cake and a rhubarb sauce. Then I moved onto a rhubarb, pineapple, strawberry jam.



Finally I tried a strawberry rhubarb muffin recipe I got from a food blog I follow. It was a great use of the fresh pick strawberries too. I made them gluten free though just by substituting my gluten free flour mix. I don't even like rhubarb that much but these were great!!



I also made a fruit pizza the other weekend for a bbq I was going to. I thought they turned out really pretty so I had to show. This recipe is from my mom. I think it's the best fruit pizza I've had. The cream cheese has an hint of orange flavoring and the pizza is topped with an apricot glaze. All the flavors meld well together. The crust is a shortbread. I wasn't sure how it would taste gluten free, so I made 2 pizzas: one regular and one gluten free. I didn't want everyone at the party to be my guinea pigs. :) Turns out they were both great, the gluten free one was just a little different texture.

Regular pizza


Gluten free

1 comment:

wildprinces-75 said...

strawberry rhubarb pie - it's a double crust pie - I'd be more then happy to sample it when it's done - hee hee