Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Cooking Goals Part I

Ever since I saw the movie Julie & Julia I've been wanting to set some cooking goals of my own. Nothing crazy like making Julia's whole cookbook but there were a couple recipes that I've either failed at before have been wanting to try out. They are the following:
1. a bernaise sauce - looks tricky to do
2. Mom's Beef Bourguignon recipe - soo good!
3. custard sauce using an egg for thickening - I tried this once and the egg cooked. I made it again without the egg and it was still good but I want to try the real thing.
4. Grandma Regina's Pie Crust - I attempted this last year if anyone remembers the pie disaster. I've gotten a few tips on it and want to try it out again.

I tried my first one over the weekend for our anniversary dinner. It was goal #2, my mom's recipe of beef bourguignon. She's used to make it a lot growing up and I've always loved it. It was actually a lot easier than I had thought. Brown the meat and veggies. Mix everything up. Throw it in the crock pot to cook all day and then used creamed butter and flour to thicken the sauce into more of a gravy. Turned out great. Success!!

No comments: